Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The little Thanksgiving blessings...


I'm grateful for every minute with my two kids- yes, even the kicking under the table moments, the cranberry sauce spilled moments, the "you better eat or no dessert" moments, the fingers in the Cool Whip moments. Here's why this Thanksgiving I am appreciating the "little things in life"


  • Thanks for the eternal mess. Kids are the quickest cure for perfectionism I know. Have a kid or two, and nothing will ever remain where you left it, your floors will be re-encrusted in crumbs, and stray socks will go forth and multiply like rabbits.

  • Thanks for the hard questions, even the embarassing ones. "Why is that woman/man so fat"? "Why do you have lines on your face mom"? "Why do some people not believe in God"? They help keep our minds quick.

  • Thanks for the misdeeds behind my back. The stuck out tongues? The sneaking one more cookie after being told not to. These are the moves that keep us young.

  • Thanks for running me in circles. There's nothing like the daily gallop through meals, dishes, lunch packing, laundry, gymnastics, homework, bedtime, etc which leads only to the next day of more of the same, to remind me that life isn't a destination, it's a journey.

  • Thanks for taking 10 minutes to put on socks when we should've been out the door 10 minutes ago. I'm so rushed all the time that I automatically get impatient, even when the 10 minutes don't really matter. It's good to be reminded to stop and smell the dirty socks that were wore yesterday that will be worn again today.

  • Thanks for all manner of bodily extrusions- their sights, smells, and their sounds. Enough said...

  • Thanks for the constant chauffer duty. I now know what my mom meant when she said, "I just love being a taxi"!

  • Thanks for annoying Barney, Spongebob, Hannah Montana, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Jonas Brothers and Wow Wow Wuzby. My kids obsession with these shows have infected my brain with some really mind numbing jingles that I can't shake. But Hey... their built in babysitters that give me some peace sometimes. Free!

  • Thanks for clutter. From all the stuffed animals residing on beds and shelves, under beds, in closets, school papers and artwork and clothes, and Lord help me if your famous artwork happens to end up in the trash. Guilt trip city.

  • Thanks for the empty bank account. Where did the cash go? To school, clothes, toys, medicine, dentist, gymnastics, food, food, food, etc. I consider all that a pretty good investment! Hey... and when they grow up and become doctors, and lawyers, they can take care of us in our old age! (Yeah, right I know)
  • Thanks for my alarm clock that goes off almost every morning. I am thankful to have a job to go to everyday that I love!

  • Last but certainly not least!!!!Thanks for my Savior! My All Mighty, All saving Savior for giving His life to allow me to have all I ever need. No worries, No stress, just a friend forever and a mansion in Glory!

I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving! I am so thankful this year and I can't even begin to tell you how this year I am seeing things in a different light. No hassle, and rush, like a kid who is just soaking in everything they see and hear. I am enjoying the many wonders of this and future holidays to come.


2 comments:

  1. i hope you guys have a happy thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Shannon! I am inspired to write mine now! Love to you and your family and happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete