Friday, February 3, 2012

Psalm 27

I read this today and it was just what I needed.

Today we went walking on some trails. We were on our way back, taking a creekside trail. We were getting concerned about the time. We did not want to be in the woods, on unfamiliar trails, in the dark. It was going to be close, but we were sure we should make it back before it became dark.

Before we started this trail, we had looked at our map. According to it, if we walked alongside the creek for some distance, we should come to a bridge which would cross over the creek. Once over the creek, another trail would take us up a hill and link us back to the main trail. From there it would be a short distance to where we parked.
We kept walking. It kept getting darker. It wasn't dark, but a little concern began to creep in; mainly, where is this bridge?
We kept looking at the map, all of us. According to the map, there was a bridge that would allow us to cross over the creek.
One of us went ahead looking for the bridge. The others of us began to talk. One spotted a pipe that went across the creek. He suggested we cross the creek using the pipe. The pipe was big enough to walk on; it was only inches above the creek, so even if we fell off trying to walk across the creek, no harm (foreseen) would be done. The creek was shallow, so even if we fell in, the worst would probably only be us getting wet.
We also saw a tree which had fell across the creek; between the tree and the pipe, the pipe seemed safer.
One kept saying, "but the map says there is a bridge." "Let's keep going."
With no bridge yet in sight, the pipe was suggested again. It was still kept open as an option. If it got to the point, where if not taking the pipe, we would be in the woods after dark - we would have used the pipe; but, we were not at that point.
So, the same thing was said. "The map says there's a bridge; we've got to trust the map." This led into a conversation of how we must trust God's Word. Sometimes in life, you don't see the bridge, but you have the map (God's Word); it is then, fear and doubt can show up. Crossing the creek on a pipe or by a tree could have been a bold decision. Bold is fine, but, if not necessary, it could be a dangerous risk.
We trusted the map. It was not to much longer, and we saw the bridge. We crossed over the creek, and made it back to the car as night began to fall.
The map proved trustworthy; and, much the more, is God and His Word worthy of our trust.
When you can't see the bridge, take courage; trust in His Word and keep His way, and He shall strengthen your heart.

Psalm 27: ([A Psalm] of David.) The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When the wicked, [even] mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell.
3 Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this [will] I [be] confident.
4 One [thing] have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
5 For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.
6 And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD.
7 Hear, O LORD, [when] I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me.
8 [When thou saidst], Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek.
9 Hide not thy face [far] from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.
10 When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.
11 Teach me thy way, O LORD, and lead me in a plain path, because of mine enemies.
12 Deliver me not over unto the will of mine enemies: for false witnesses are risen up against me, and such as breathe out cruelty.
13 [I had fainted], unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
14 Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment